Author Topic: new bumper and smittybuilt winch plate  (Read 1053 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
new bumper and smittybuilt winch plate
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:48:22 AM »
ok heres another one for ya.  I was looking at my new bumper and I dont know if I can use it without doing some fab work.  The front 2 bolts that hold the winch to the winchplate look like that they will be in the way of the new bumper.  Any Ideas.  Hey Ed how does your winch/plate and bumper go together?

PaulW

Re: new bumper and smittybuilt winch plate
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 02:45:30 AM »
ok heres another one for ya.  I was looking at my new bumper and I dont know if I can use it without doing some fab work.  The front 2 bolts that hold the winch to the winchplate look like that they will be in the way of the new bumper.  Any Ideas.  Hey Ed how does your winch/plate and bumper go together?

you may have to space the winch plate out with washers.  put up some pics of the problem areas and i'll see if i can offer any suggestions.

Offline moosin

• Trail Boss
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 01:48:08 AM »
my bumper has quite a bit more space on top.it had 4 holes drilled in it that were the proper spacing for my winch. i still had to buy a winch plate to hold on the fairlead.the plate is mounted between the bumper and winch.

Offline Tsunami

• Rock Crawler
    • Tsunami's facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 02:22:13 AM »
2 things...

if you cant use the new one, i would like to (as long as i can use it on my tj) and i will pay you for it.

old bumper... stock?  if not, how much and will it fit my tj??
2010 mazdaspeed3

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 02:28:27 AM »
Adam, Steve's old bumper is "custom" cut stock version. 

Steve, I have seen several bumpers advertised as not being able to be used with a winch, your new one might be one of those.  Would it work if you could cut the winch plate and have it welded to the bumper to make one piece?  If it can be cut and welded you could lay some good tack welds, but I would have it done by a pro since the winch plate is something that you want to make sure will stay on good.  I would think that if you had all the set up and prep work it would only be a few $$$. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT