Author Topic: Ford 8.8 swap into xj  (Read 3620 times)

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Ford 8.8 swap into xj
« on: September 17, 2009, 04:40:48 AM »
So i have decided to document the build and install of my ford 8.8 axle into my jeep, i know this build has been done about a million times. But i'm doing this for a variety of reasons. First off, if at some point i start totally screwing up pls let me know. Second of all i hope this might help some one at some one at some point somewhere along the way. So here it goes.

So here is what i started with:
2000 jeep cherokee sport, 4 inch lift, 33 inch tires, no slip yoke eliminator kit.

donor vehicle- 98 ford explore 8.8, disk brakes, 4.10 gears, open diff.

So heres the plan, im going to set the pinion angle at 16 degrees, for two reason this should point the drive shaft pretty close to the yoke coming out of the transfer case. But more importantly when the jeep is lifted to 8 inchs and the sye is installed (which will happen soon after the axles go in) the drive shaft should point to the back of the transfer case.

Now for the shock mounts, the forward passenger side shock mount will be set at 2 degrees and the rear driver side shock mount will be set at 4 degrees. basically these numbers came from a guy that did this same swap. so im going to go with these unless something comes up and they dont work.

So day one begins, time to strip and grind the rust.

But please those of of you that have done this before or know more than me about it pls let me know if these numbers seem off to you. My biggest concern is the pinion angel.

2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
Re: Ford 8.8 swap into xj
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 07:40:35 AM »
When I welded up the TJ brackets on Axle's 8.8, I think we did 15 degrees...He got the numbers form Stu's Offroad.: Ford 8.8 swap

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 06:08:05 PM »
do u know what size lift he is running
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 07:33:37 PM »
Axle was pushing 7 to 8 inches iirc
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 10:57:26 PM »
That TJ had a Rock Krawler 7" x-factor kit and a body lift.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 12:32:31 AM »
Remember that leaf springs are not as easy to adjust as coils.  When I did mine I mocked it up, w/ the U-bolts and wheels/tires on the ground, full weight in the Jeep.  I bounced the bumper a few times just to make sure it was settled.  I used a floor jack to adjust the pinion so it was pointed a little higher then the slip yoke.  I never measured any angles, but I spent a lot of time making sure it was set up right. 

Depending on how you plan to get the 8" of lift will have a lot to do with your pinion angle.  A shackle lift will tilt the pinion higher then an AAL or a straight spring lift.  You have a few options, take a guess and hope it's right, install the lift and SYE and set it right, or if you do guess and it is close but not just right you can always add shims to dial in the angle.

I did a lot of little stuff to my 8.8 that aren't needed, but ended up pretty cool.  I used a truss that I bought for my D35 on my 8.8, not really needed for trussing, but it would help for keeping the axle tubes from spinning.  I welded the tubes to the housing which everyone does, but there are a few tips for welding cast to steel.  I heated the cast part before welding, welded about 2 inches at a time and then covered the weld with my welding gloves to hold the heat in and control the cool down rate for both the cast and mild steel, think BFPL curve since you are a Nuke.  I also moved the shocks up flush with the bottom of the axle which cause exhaust problems. 
here is a link to my old write up:
http://jt4x4.com/smf/index.php?topic=1121.0

Also nice General Lee Lawn Mower ;D
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 06:20:13 AM »
Day 2: Today i got the axle all ground down and all unnecessary things removed and got it painted up. i havent welded the tubes to the pumpkin yet which i prob should have done before throwing any paint at it, but kirk thanks for the tips on welding the tubes.

So kirk again i think ill take ur advise/method of finding the pinion angle. i think with the jeep sitting with 4 inches of lift ill point the drive shaft slightly above the slip yoke and then after the lift and sye installed im guessing that the drive shaft will still be pretty close, fingers crossed. But worst case i go get some shims but in all honesty i dont see it being a problem.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 02:59:34 AM »
Day 3: So today i got the tubes welded to the pumpkin with pretty good success. But now the build is coming to a stop until the brackets come in that i ordered from ruff stuff. But with this break in the rear i can take tomorrow to go find a hp dana 30 out of a 96-99 xj due to the larger u joints that came with those axles. Also im going to try and find dana 30 outers from a 99-04 grand cherokee due to the two piston calipers and the lower mount points for the tie rods which will alow me to go to over the knuckle steering with just a flip of the tie rod.

Kirk i got a better shot of the general for ya, i painted this when i first moved in to the house about 2 months ago, i guess mostly to let the neighbors know what kind of redneck neighbor they have without going door to door.

2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 03:33:07 AM »
The tractor and the axle both look good!
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 03:46:42 AM »
Day 3: So today i got the tubes welded to the pumpkin with pretty good success. But now the build is coming to a stop until the brackets come in that i ordered from ruff stuff. But with this break in the rear i can take tomorrow to go find a hp dana 30 out of a 96-99 xj due to the larger u joints that came with those axles. Also im going to try and find dana 30 outers from a 99-04 grand cherokee due to the two piston calipers and the lower mount points for the tie rods which will alow me to go to over the knuckle steering with just a flip of the tie rod.

Kirk i got a better shot of the general for ya, i painted this when i first moved in to the house about 2 months ago, i guess mostly to let the neighbors know what kind of redneck neighbor they have without going door to door.

BlacXJeep: Bows to Flex's tractor....... thats pretty sweet
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 05:10:15 AM »
Check out dean's for your parts i was there a couple of days ago and they had a few cheerokees and grands
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 05:39:59 AM »
yea im gonna give deans a call tomorrow im hoping that have everything
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 02:33:49 AM »
If you find the gear ratio in an older axle, you could always swap the shafts with the axle that is under it now.  Just another option.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 11:28:31 PM »
ok so i did a terrible job of documenting that axle swap but hey i think if i had anymore to worry about my brain would just give up. so today i finished bolting the axle in. As soon as i turn and drive out of the drive way i hear like a clicking noise, as long as i drive straight i dont hear anything but any time i turn i hear the clicking/clunking noise which is proportional to the speed at which i take the turn, any advice would be great.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 11:47:22 PM »
by the way the sound is coming from the rear end, and it will shift from side to side depending which way i am turning.
2005 F-150

-Nate