Author Topic: Ford 8.8 axle swap  (Read 28832 times)

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
Re: Ford 8.8 axle swap
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2008, 01:36:13 PM »
Thanks, Scott.  I plan on measuring and remeasuring.  Also, once I'm sure the measurements are correct, I'm going to jb weld the brackets on there and do a "test swap" to verify everything fits like it should.  Basically, just line everything up.  If it fits right, then we weld it, and we're good to go.  The jb weld will melt off as you get near it with the welder.  At least that's what one write up had and he said it worked great.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2008, 01:50:39 PM »
Sounds like a good idea.  Even it it didn't melt, once you got a few tack welds, you could grind/cut off the JB
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2008, 02:20:51 PM »
just tack weld it in a couple of spots that are easy to grind back off to check the fit the jb weld would mess with welding it up properly

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2008, 02:35:28 PM »
that would be my thought too
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2008, 03:10:54 PM »
I agree with tacking them in place, I'm not sure the JB weld would even hold well enough to get a test fit. especially if it fits tight and you need a bit of muscle to get it just right, the JB might just come right off. I'd tack it and then you could do whatever you wanted to get it right and we would go from there. It wouldn't be that bad trying to buzz off a tack weld either.
Also, I was thinking with the limited adjustment of your passenger side control arm, you have to get your brackets close enough to be somewhere in the middle of the top adjuster because you can't adjust the bottom anymore. Welding it removed half of your "adjustment window". I'm sure you have thought about this already, I was just brainstorming about it last night... ::)

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2008, 05:02:38 PM »
not to mention, burning JB weld might not be the best to breath in.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
Good news!!!  I called MORE and asked about purchasing only the brackets I need.  I got the answer I was looking for, so that will save me some money there.  He didn't say how much, but I'm hoping he'll drop the price from $300 to $200.

I win!

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2008, 07:52:54 PM »
jb weld is not structural...  really it just fills gasp, like missing threads, holes in the oil pan, etc.  just tack weld them in place and then finish it up when you have it lined up correctly.  buy a tape measure  ::)

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2008, 07:58:46 PM »
Yeah, I know.  I have a tape measure, and Doball has the angle finder, so I've got the measurement tools I need.  It will be easy getting the pinion angle, and I've got all the measurements I need from Stu's Offroad.  Really, all I'm waiting on is MONEY!  It's agonizing to say the least.  In the mean time, I'm just pecking away at stripping off the old paint and surface rust. 

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2008, 08:41:07 PM »
Axle,
 Are you planning on painting the whole axle after all the brackets are welded on? Are you priming it until things get all ready for paint? If so, please leave a decent BARE METAL spot for my ground clamp. No primer or anything. The better the current flow, the more stable of the arc melting the metal. Makes for nicer welds... Thanks!

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2008, 09:38:25 PM »
justin,

you're doing fine.

now, all you need is to get a plum bob, a sextant, and a lazer studfinder with a bias axle level so you can hang everything with lazer precision.lol

oh yeah,

CUT IT!!!!!

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2008, 11:23:37 PM »
I think I will leave it bare until after the welding is done.  If any rust shows up between now and then, I'll just scrape it off before I paint.

I win!

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2008, 11:30:27 PM »
you should herculine it ... that'd be sweet!  (after the welding is done of course)

is it going to be sitting outside for the next month?
personally, I would prime it all, especially the parts that you've ground down to bare metal (where the brackets were) ... you can always give it a quick hit with the grinder to get back to metal when welding time comes
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2008, 11:44:45 PM »
i agree w/ al.  bare metal rusts quick here, esp if the humidity is high.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2008, 12:07:22 AM »
powdercoat it!!!!!!!!