Author Topic: Antifreeze Leak  (Read 1713 times)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Antifreeze Leak
« on: September 29, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »
Is there a weap hole in the bottom of the water pump that could be leaking so it looks like my lower radiator hose is the only thing leaking? This stupid thing is killing me. It's been leaking for a couple weeks now off and on. Sometimes it leaks and at other times its dry. I picked up a new lower radiator hose from Bumper to Bumper last night, drained my radiator, took the hose off and then realized the hose that they sold me is the wrong one. It's about 6" too long. I ended up putting the other one back on since it's only 5 weeks old or whenever I replaced my radiator. I used new clamps on it and it's leaking again this morning. The leak looks like the fluid is coming out of the top of the hose around the clamp. I've got to get this fixed.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Antifreeze Leak
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 05:11:20 PM »
I just went out into the parking deck and looked at it with a flashlight. There is antifreeze coming down from behind the pulley onto the lower radiator hose. I have to get this fixed since I've been driving it like this for almost 2 weeks and even drove back and forth to Hartford and Providence this past weekend. I have to drive back out to Hartford this Thursday again. Anybody have a garage I can use or want to lend a hand tonight out in the road in front of my house. I'm going to call Autozone to see if they have a pump in stock to pick up on my way home.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 06:43:15 PM »
If  u  dont  mind  making  the  drive,  your  welcome  to  use  my  garage.  just  let  me  know  before  5  so   i  can  make  sure  i  bring  home  the  tools  needed.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 06:52:09 PM »
If  u  dont  mind  making  the  drive,  your  welcome  to  use  my  garage.  just  let  me  know  before  5  so   i  can  make  sure  i  bring  home  the  tools  needed.

Paul, I would take you up on the offer, but I'm leary about driving it that far at this point knowing that I've been driving around for 2 weeks with a water pump going out. With my luck it would completely fail on my way there and I'd be sitting on the side of the highway.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 07:13:34 PM »
Got  aaa?  i  drove  my  xj  for  3  months  with  a  leak  b4.  if  u  want  to  chance  it  let  me  know

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 07:19:49 PM »
I will give you a call when i get off tonight it should be about 6
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 07:37:55 PM »
I will give you a call when i get off tonight it should be about 6

Are you and the shop going to be open tonight to get my work done there? If so, you are close and I'll take you up on that. If the shop isn't available let me know so I can make arrangements to go out to Paul's place. As windy as it is today if I worked outside I would end up with antifreeze all over the road and the neighbors wouldn't be happy.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 07:43:31 PM »
I  need  to  know  by  5  so  i  can  grab  tools  b4  i  go  home

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 08:03:13 PM »
I  need  to  know  by  5  so  i  can  grab  tools  b4  i  go  home

If Adam doesn't get back online this afternoon I'll try giving him a call before 4.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 08:20:08 PM »
Ill  b  away  from  the  computer  for  the  rest  of  the  day.  call  me  8605383849

Offline moosin

• Trail Boss
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 02:48:59 AM »
ah crap Roger i dont get online till later in the evening. next time you need a close garage just give me a call i can always move the quad out of the way and at least get one end of the jeep in.and if im busy you certainly could still use it.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 03:35:18 AM »
Thanks for the offer Ed. Will sent me a pm and offered the boat garage tonight so I went over there and got it switched out. Not too bad of a job. Got home and looked under the Jeep with a flashlight and didn't see anything leaking so I think it's fixed. The only thing I am worried about is we only let the the RTV sit for about an hour, maybe hour and a half before putting fluid in it. Hopefully it cures correctly and I don't get any leaks from the seal. Thanks again for your help tonight Will.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline WillC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 03:42:39 PM »
No problem Roger anytime.

PaulW

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 06:17:38 PM »
Dont  worry  about  the  rtv,  as  soon  as  it  skins  over  its  ok  to  add  antifreeze.  theres  no  solvents  or  petroleum  to  worry  about.