Author Topic: Another XJ down, not cranking stranded at work  (Read 4367 times)

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Re: Another XJ down, not cranking stranded at work
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 04:02:24 AM »

the solenoid is mounted directly to the starter.  the relay is a different piece.  andy here is the right diagram for your 93.

Your right, I was looking at the diagram too long ::).
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 04:06:40 AM »

the solenoid is mounted directly to the starter.  the relay is a different piece.  andy here is the right diagram for your 93.

Your right, I was looking at the diagram too long ::).

don't feel bad, I want to color the pictures also

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 05:02:14 AM »
ok so broke the NSS had to call Roger to come to the rescue with his extra from his old XJ. We couldnt get that one apart because the phillips heads were rusted and stripping out. so I slapped it on and she shifts fine. So this rules out the NSS. Paul thinks its in the ignition someweres, and I agree, but I'm going the lazy route and making a push button starter. Any suggestions of how I should wire it? Inline fuse etc?? yada yada. What a night. So for now I have to jump the starter everytime I want to go anywere. What a PITA!!!
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 05:38:08 PM »
ok so broke the NSS had to call Roger to come to the rescue with his extra from his old XJ. We couldnt get that one apart because the phillips heads were rusted and stripping out. so I slapped it on and she shifts fine. So this rules out the NSS. Paul thinks its in the ignition someweres, and I agree, but I'm going the lazy route and making a push button starter. Any suggestions of how I should wire it? Inline fuse etc?? yada yada. What a night. So for now I have to jump the starter everytime I want to go anywere. What a PITA!!!

Just take the 20 min and figure out what the problem is.  but if your going to wire it up on a button, do something cool, like the rocker switch for the power seat, or the rear washer switch.  don't just throw in a button on the dash, use a jeep switch make it unique.

What power seat? and my rear wiper still works. I'm looking towards doing an aircraft style safety switch. It won't be OEM, but it will be better than putting two wires together inside my cab with sparks flying. It literally looks like I'm hot wiring my rig whenever I start it haha.
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 05:44:45 PM »
I've seen the push button starters become popular with the tunner crowed, and I think Nissan even made them stock in a few newer cars. 

This one is pretty expensive ($95), but it is pretty cool, and should give you an idea of what all is out there.  Just try a google search.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HFM-PUSH-B/?image=large
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 01:03:45 AM »

Just take the 20 min and figure out what the problem is.  but if your going to wire it up on a button, do something cool, like the rocker switch for the power seat, or the rear washer switch.  don't just throw in a button on the dash, use a jeep switch make it unique.

What power seat? and my rear wiper still works. I'm looking towards doing an aircraft style safety switch. It won't be OEM, but it will be better than putting two wires together inside my cab with sparks flying. It literally looks like I'm hot wiring my rig whenever I start it haha.

make sure it's a momentary push switch, and not a toggle.  you wouldn't want the starter staying on by accident.

Good call Paul I will keep that in mind
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 10:49:38 PM »
It's not going to be a full push button, the key will still have to be in the ignition. It will basically be a starter jumper button. Not going to do anything fancy. It will be a simple universal 12v horn button. like this.

W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 12:01:55 AM »
maybe I'll hide it somewere clever ;D
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 04:52:05 AM »
maybe I'll hide it somewere clever ;D
put it in the gas cap.

Yeah cuz that would be convenient Paul?!!? No, I didn't get clever, just got it done, sick of holding two wires together. So here it is. Whatever you do just don't push the red button!!!

W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 01:36:02 PM »
As long as it's high enough that you don't hit it with your knee that your all set.

That should be out of the way and the ring around the push button looks to be raised enough that you won't be able to bump it on accident. That should work well.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 05:06:38 PM »

That should be out of the way and the ring around the push button looks to be raised enough that you won't be able to bump it on accident. That should work well.

You could tell people it's for the ejection seat and that way they never push it. ;)  Looks good and nice choice with the ring, it should keep you from bumping into it.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 11:03:34 PM »

You could tell people it's for the ejection seat and that way they never push it. ;)  Looks good and nice choice with the ring, it should keep you from bumping into it.

Yeah thats what I figured with the ring around it it wouldn't be bumped as easily. It came out pretty decent, and it works, so thats whats important.
W.O.J.