Author Topic: Dana 30 axle seal leaking?  (Read 1287 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Dana 30 axle seal leaking?
« on: August 01, 2009, 01:01:46 AM »
Help!

was under my jeep per usual yesterday, and noticed what I thought was water but then quickly found out it was an oily substance on the right front lower part of the knuckle I am guessing my seal is starting to go.

I have never worked on an axle so I guess now is as good a time as any. From what I gather the only way to fix the seal is from inside the pumpkin? Should I do both sides and bearings?

I'll have to get under there and look again and make sure its not brake fluid, and inspect the end of the axle tube again. I hear the seals are only about $8 a peice, so thats not bad. Is there anything else I should know or do before I get my hands dirty with this thing?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 01:31:21 AM by BlacXJeep »
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Re: Dana 30 axle seal leaking?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 01:03:46 AM »
Also how long can I/ should I let this go for? obviously with checking the front diff level regularly.
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 01:23:56 AM »
you are correct, the front axle seals are inside the housing and you have to remove the front axles, and the carrier in order to change them.  it's not hard just a little time consuming.  just make sure you mark the bearing caps as to which side and direction they go before you take them out.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 05:13:25 AM »
It might also be a good time to look into new U-joints while you have the shafts out.  I have a few tricks that might save some time pulling the axle shafts.  I'll show you the tricks when you stop by.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 06:29:43 AM »
This was the write up I was planning on following http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoD30AxlesSeals.htm
but anything you want to show me would be gladly welcomed
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 05:05:33 PM »
It might also be a good time to look into new U-joints while you have the shafts out.  I have a few tricks that might save some time pulling the axle shafts.  I'll show you the tricks when you stop by.

i leave them attached to the hubs.  just take out the 3 bolts and smash the bearings out with the axle in it, remove em as 1 piece.  it should take about 20-75 minutes depending upon how much rust is there lol.