Author Topic: Christmas time in July  (Read 4901 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Christmas time in July
« on: July 29, 2009, 02:57:21 PM »
Yeah baby, the brown santa just delivered my l;ift kit.  The SYE and CV shaft are in transit and I hopefully will be picking up my beyyl skid tonight.  I'd say mid Aug I'm going to take a vacation day and install.  Do any of you guys have sone extra jack stands I can borrow?  Who ever has done control arms, should I follow the directions and do one at a time or can I just drop the axel and do them all at the same time?  Has anyone used the POR15?  How fast does it take to dry?  Well I think thats it for now.

PaulW

Re: Christmas time in July
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 03:21:24 PM »
I have a tall set of jack stands if you need to borrow em.  do the control arms one at a time.  if you take all of them out at the same time the axle may shift and then it can become a pain to get them re-aligned.  as far as the por15, i've used it in a body shop situation before, but i can't remember the cure time.  i think we let it sit overnight just to be safe.  great product though.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 03:24:02 PM »
Yeah baby, the brown santa just delivered my l;ift kit.  The SYE and CV shaft are in transit and I hopefully will be picking up my beyyl skid tonight.  I'd say mid Aug I'm going to take a vacation day and install.  Do any of you guys have sone extra jack stands I can borrow?  Who ever has done control arms, should I follow the directions and do one at a time or can I just drop the axel and do them all at the same time?  Has anyone used the POR15?  How fast does it take to dry?  Well I think thats it for now.

One side at a time on the control arms or have ratchet straps available for trying to get the axle lined back up. When I've swapped axles I would have 3 or 4 ratchet straps all pulling in different directions to get things to line up.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 05:11:43 PM »
I've got 6 jackstands, you can borrow some.  I'll need a couple for some repairs to the taco.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 07:05:47 PM »
From what I have read about POR15 it works great on rusted parts, but not worth crap on good metal.  If you are planning on using it on stuff like your new skid, I wouldn't, it will just peel off.  If your plan is to use it on your frame you'r probably ok.  Let me know when you are ready for for the SYE, I have done a few of them now and can help you out.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 09:24:10 PM »
So yes I was planning on cleaning up the frame(not the skid) a bit then applying the por15.  I couldnt see putting on nice shiney new stuff and have it surrounded by rust.  As far as the SYE, I'd love the help.  Are you working yet or are you still on ML?  If still on ML for how long? 

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 02:33:14 PM »
Can I drop both upper CA so I dont have to use a spring compressor?   Where can I get nutserts? 

PaulW

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 02:45:23 PM »
Can I drop both upper CA so I dont have to use a spring compressor?   Where can I get nutserts? 

how big of springs are you putting in?  anything over 4.5 you really should use a spring compressor.

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 04:19:47 PM »
its a 4" lift but like most lifts I'll probably get an extra half inch

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 05:23:42 PM »

I've got 4.5" springs plus 1.75" coil spacers in the XJ and didn't use spring compressors. I did unbolt both of the upper CA, tie rods, and track bar, which allowed enough droop to get them in. Once I got the one side in I used a jack on that side to compress it enough so that I could put the coils and spacer in on the other side. You can use ratchet straps to line the axle back up for reinstalling the upper control arms. They do a great job for rotating it.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 06:26:51 PM »
excelent, thats what I wanted to hear!

PaulW

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 06:50:09 PM »
guess i'm just spoiled with the clamshell spring compressor.  makes 6 inch springs squish to the point where you don't even need to take out the shocks  ;D

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 03:17:31 PM »
Ok guys so this is going to be a great time to change all my fluids. What are your thoughts on Amsoil vs Royal Purple?  What volumes am I looking at and where should I get it. 

PaulW

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 07:10:51 PM »
Ok guys so this is going to be a great time to change all my fluids. What are your thoughts on Amsoil vs Royal Purple?  What volumes am I looking at and where should I get it. 

I usually use the walmart brand of fluids in trail rigs.  I change them every 3 rides anyway so good oil is a waste of $ for me.  But royal purple does make some great products, i'd use them if those were the two choices.

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 09:39:31 PM »

Definately Royal Purple! I did and it was worth every penny of the $65 for all the fluids....And Bumper to Bumper carries it in stock...