Author Topic: The Jimmy  (Read 5014 times)

Offline phoenix

• Mudd Hog
Re: The Jimmy
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »
both mine were DD's, the lifted one was surprisingly good on the street other then the ft end being so stiff.

PaulW

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 06:14:49 PM »
both mine were DD's, the lifted one was surprisingly good on the street other then the ft end being so stiff.

My uncle pulled his camper up to maine behind his this weekend, I'm wondering if it will pull my sami.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 04:39:33 AM »

My uncle pulled his camper up to maine behind his this weekend, I'm wondering if it will pull my sami.

Flat tow or trialer?
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 04:51:26 AM »

Flat tow or trialer?

i was thinking with a trailer.  i've been researching and chevy blazer forum says that they routinly pull 5000 pounds without too much trouble.  i think the sami may weigh in around 3500.  so a trailer may be out of question.  i'm also looking at a 1500 dodge ram to pull the sami.

PaulW

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 03:18:20 AM »
So tomorrow it's off to the used auto parts store for a 4wd switch, a fuel filler, and a glove box latch.  The clown i got it from thought he was a mechanic and changed the fuel pump himself.  the butchered the fuel filler vent hose and clamped it tight with a bolt in it.  nice i can't fill the tank more then half way.  the glove box latch broke who knows when so they duct taped the glove box shut (duct tape cum does not wash of very easily), and when i went to try 4wd, the button stuck down, but all in all for the $500 truck it's coming along pretty nicely.  If i have time, i'm going to look for some tires from the maypop tire company while i'm at the scrap yard.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 04:42:49 AM »
so when you gonna weld the rear diff?
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

PaulW

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 04:52:09 AM »
so when you gonna weld the rear diff?

nah i'm welding the front.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 01:57:16 PM »
haha. really?
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

PaulW

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 02:53:41 AM »
haha. really?

no.

i scored a sweet set of firestone destination at's today they have 4k miles on them and they're the right size for the truck.  found the source of my fuel leak today, there's a sprite can glued to the filler neck.  i'll have to take pics of it when i go to pull it down. 

PaulW

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 02:59:05 AM »
also found a hitch on craigslist for $40 in albany, going saturday to pick it up.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 03:36:43 AM »
haha. really?

no.

i scored a sweet set of firestone destination at's today they have 4k miles on them and they're the right size for the truck.  found the source of my fuel leak today, there's a sprite can glued to the filler neck.  i'll have to take pics of it when i go to pull it down. 

You put it there or the PO?
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 04:22:51 AM »
haha. really?

no.

last owner.  he thought he was a mechanic and went to change the fuel pump himself.  the new filler neck was ordered from chevy today.  i think it might be my sat project.
You put it there or the PO?

Offline phoenix

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2009, 12:11:19 AM »
i was thinking with a trailer.  i've been researching and chevy blazer forum says that they routinly pull 5000 pounds without too much trouble.  i think the sami may weigh in around 3500.  so a trailer may be out of question.  i'm also looking at a 1500 dodge ram to pull the sami.
Uhh, NO! On a trailer you should be somewhere around 3500,  but a stock zuk is about 2100. A single axle trailer will handle a zuk, I wanted a tandem just for the room and safety factor. If you go with a single axle, I would go for a 5k capacity and HD tires.

PaulW

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2009, 02:37:49 AM »
Uhh, NO! On a trailer you should be somewhere around 3500,  but a stock zuk is about 2100. A single axle trailer will handle a zuk, I wanted a tandem just for the room and safety factor. If you go with a single axle, I would go for a 5k capacity and HD tires.

the zuk isn't going to be stock.  it's going to have full width axles, min 36" tires. and lots of tubing.

PaulW

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2009, 02:39:43 AM »
my 4wd switch came in today.  after i fix my filler neck and due the tune up tomorrow, i may be ready to actually have a nice driver.