Author Topic: Input Needed  (Read 5429 times)

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Re: Input Needed
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2009, 05:55:44 AM »
I love the look of that wheel and tire combo!! :D

Any problems driving all the way back to MI with those tires?  You made it, so I am guessing it was ok.  Did you get a chance to pull the hitch before you traded it in?
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2009, 06:17:37 AM »
I don't know if it was the smaller tires that messed up my geometry or if those tires weren't balanced very well, but I had an awful vibration the entire way here. When I looked out the back window the cars behind me were all blurry from the shaking. If I looked too long it would make me dizzy. The drive went ok, but it took me over 13 hours because I couldn't go very fast without the XJ feeling unsafe. There was a crowd that gathered around it at the dealership when I dropped it off this morning. They all that it was great.

Kirk, because of the time involved with driving and having to get it turned it early this morning I didn't get a chance to take anything off the Jeep. I ended up turning it in with the spacers and control arm drop  brackets, which I had planned to remove.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2009, 06:49:53 AM »
It was probably the tires.  They had a lot of mud in the rims.  I tried to get as much out as I could, but there was still a lot there.

I have been looking at a hitch on ebay and I didn't want to bid if you took your old one off. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2009, 02:55:52 PM »
I don't know if it was the smaller tires that messed up my geometry or if those tires weren't balanced very well, but I had an awful vibration the entire way here. When I looked out the back window the cars behind me were all blurry from the shaking. If I looked too long it would make me dizzy. The drive went ok, but it took me over 13 hours because I couldn't go very fast without the XJ feeling unsafe. There was a crowd that gathered around it at the dealership when I dropped it off this morning. They all that it was great.

Kirk, because of the time involved with driving and having to get it turned it early this morning I didn't get a chance to take anything off the Jeep. I ended up turning it in with the spacers and control arm drop  brackets, which I had planned to remove.

Those were rj's tires right??  i think one of the wheels may be bent, he had problems with severe vibrations also.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2009, 08:31:02 PM »

Those were rj's tires right??  i think one of the wheels may be bent, he had problems with severe vibrations also.

Yea, they were R.J.'s.  They all had about a 1/2" of mud coating the inside.  I got most of the big stuff out, but even missing a good size chunk would add some vibrations.  Two of the tires were pretty worn and may have been cupped.  It didn't look like they were rotated that often. 
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2009, 10:14:40 PM »

Yea, they were R.J.'s.  They all had about a 1/2" of mud coating the inside.  I got most of the big stuff out, but even missing a good size chunk would add some vibrations.  Two of the tires were pretty worn and may have been cupped.  It didn't look like they were rotated that often. 

he complained about a vibration since he bought the truck.  they're probably 4 oz out of balance also.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2009, 11:56:13 PM »
yeah it vibrated really badly. it used to put my foot to sleep. hapened since i had bought it.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2009, 12:56:53 AM »
yeah it vibrated really badly. it used to put my foot to sleep. hapened since i had bought it.

How much crap was busted with your XJ when you bought it?  Flat Springs, Vibrating Tires, busted lower control arm braket, air bag light, and I am sure others.  I hate to say it, but I think you got ripped off. 
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2009, 02:11:42 AM »

How much crap was busted with your XJ when you bought it?  Flat Springs, Vibrating Tires, busted lower control arm braket, air bag light, and I am sure others.  I hate to say it, but I think you got ripped off. 

don't worry i've already told him that LOL

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2009, 02:33:32 AM »
i flattened the leafs. the air bag light was on, the tires needed to be balanced, and the control arm was bent but i didn't notice it, the blower only works on 1 and 4, covered in hair (think he killed his dog in it), thats about it. but yeah if i had a chance to go back on get it again i wouldn't have.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2009, 03:17:14 AM »
if cash for clunkers ever comes back online, get a new one!
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2009, 03:26:43 AM »
yeah i can only keep my fingers crossed. i haven't owned the jeep long enough for the program as of now though.
1982 CJ7-stock

PaulW

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2009, 03:28:10 AM »
yeah i can only keep my fingers crossed. i haven't owned the jeep long enough for the program as of now though.

just white out the date on the reg :D

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2009, 07:15:37 PM »
ha, that sounds like jail time.
1982 CJ7-stock

PaulW

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2009, 02:29:24 AM »
ha, that sounds like jail time.

not if your good with your witeout :D