Author Topic: HELP!!!  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
HELP!!!
« on: July 29, 2009, 09:28:03 PM »
I NEED HELP IN A HURRY!!!  I got my XJ running, so I took it to a doctor's appt in Waterford. On my way home, it died on I-95 on the Goldstar Bridge. SOOOOO, my XJ is sitting on the side of I095 and I need someone to hook my tow chain to and give me a yank home. Anybody out there willing to help??

PaulW

Re: HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 09:32:17 PM »
I NEED HELP IN A HURRY!!!  I got my XJ running, so I took it to a doctor's appt in Waterford. On my way home, it died on I-95 on the Goldstar Bridge. SOOOOO, my XJ is sitting on the side of I095 and I need someone to hook my tow chain to and give me a yank home. Anybody out there willing to help??

anybody have aaa??  you dont want to get caught with a chain on it.

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 10:00:38 PM »
It just kills me to pay for a tow, it is only 2 or 3 miles from the house, but it is on the highway

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:06:54 PM »
It just kills me to pay for a tow, it is only 2 or 3 miles from the house, but it is on the highway

again find someone with triple a.  it's free for a member.

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 10:56:11 PM »
HOLY CRAP, I am hearing in the $100 neighborhood to have the thing towed 5 miles!!! There has to be someone out there that will give me a yank!

PaulW

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 11:27:44 PM »
HOLY CRAP, I am hearing in the $100 neighborhood to have the thing towed 5 miles!!! There has to be someone out there that will give me a yank!

118 for the hookup, and 4 a mile.  it's usually 88 for the hookup, but off highway is more expensive.  can you just fix it where it sits?

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 11:32:05 PM »
OK, I found a place that took $75 (my last $75 until payday btw). Now that it is home, I am pretty sure it is my feul pump. That is what I get for buying a 20 year old car. I am at exactly the point where all the s@&t starts failing: starter, fuel pump, I am guessing alternator next. So now I have to track down my fuel problem...

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 11:48:48 PM »
I leave work and run a few errands on the way home and missed all of this. I'm glad you got the XJ back to the house. Looks like the starter only helped for a day.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 11:57:40 PM »
OK, so how do I figure out if it is the fuel pump or the fuel filter?? I am sure it will be the pump because that will cost about $100 ($82 for the pump, and another $12 for the strainer to validate the warranty). If it is just the filter that is only $12, and that is not how my luck runs. But on a good note, my starter is cranking the engine like a bear! :-\

PaulW

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 12:00:43 AM »
OK, so how do I figure out if it is the fuel pump or the fuel filter?? I am sure it will be the pump because that will cost about $100 ($82 for the pump, and another $12 for the strainer to validate the warranty). If it is just the filter that is only $12, and that is not how my luck runs. But on a good note, my starter is cranking the engine like a bear! :-\

hit the tank with a hammer while someone cranks it, if it starts it's the pump

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 12:03:03 AM »
better yet, disconnet the fuel inlet to the filter, turn key to run, if fuel is pumped, its the filter.  or just listen at teh tank for the fuel pump to run or not with the key in run.

I would have helped if you had been able to wait a bit, just got  home 30 min ago.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work