Author Topic: Removal of rear sway bar  (Read 1729 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Removal of rear sway bar
« on: July 22, 2009, 01:33:10 AM »
Has anyone done this on an XJ? Its going to be a while before I'm getting any more lift, so I have been thinking about ways to get a little more articulation out on my rig for the time being. I still haven't found any cheap discos for the front sway bar, but I have heard of many people removing the rear sway bar completely and not having any issues on road. Let me know what you think.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Removal of rear sway bar
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:41:31 AM »
My XJ didn't even come with a rear sway bar. With leaf springs in the rear there is no reason to have one unless you are going to be towing. In the earlier years the only XJs with rear sway bars were the ones that came with factory tow packages.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 01:57:35 AM »
Not even positive mine has one, haha. havent checked. But I may plan to tow in the future a little so, I figure if I do rip it out i'll just save it and leave the brackets in?
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 02:53:50 AM »
i've taken every single one out of mine no problems.  the rear mounts on the leaf springs can also be used for a bar pin eliminator for the shocks.  it bolts right up

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 12:53:53 AM »
i've taken every single one out of mine no problems.  the rear mounts on the leaf springs can also be used for a bar pin eliminator for the shocks.  it bolts right up

I read an article about the "bar pin eliminator", but I didn't fully understand what it accomplishes. Maybe you could enlighten me? From what I gather I could get and extra Inch or so our of my rear shocks? If thats the case I may want to do this soon. Could use and extra inch or so i the rear. if anyone would like to lend a hand/garage and tools. I have those 1 1/2' leaf spring block spacers I got from Rogers XJ, I might throw in there, if the shocks would be long enough with the Bar pin eliminator. Or would it mean I would have to get longer shocks? Also, are there any disadvantages or risks if I did this?

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:15:21 AM by BlacXJeep »
W.O.J.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 04:32:49 AM »
i know that i have the rear sway bar but idk if you do. i thought it was a newer jeep kinda thing.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

PaulW

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 03:00:36 PM »

I read an article about the "bar pin eliminator", but I didn't fully understand what it accomplishes. Maybe you could enlighten me? From what I gather I could get and extra Inch or so our of my rear shocks? If thats the case I may want to do this soon. Could use and extra inch or so i the rear. if anyone would like to lend a hand/garage and tools. I have those 1 1/2' leaf spring block spacers I got from Rogers XJ, I might throw in there, if the shocks would be long enough with the Bar pin eliminator. Or would it mean I would have to get longer shocks? Also, are there any disadvantages or risks if I did this?

the thing about the bar pin eliminator is that you can take those stupid "pins" out of the shocks and run different types where you only need the eyelet on top and bottom.  it will also lower your shock about 1.5 inches or so so that they will be longer.  dual advantages.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 10:43:30 PM »
Ok so finally stuck my face under there and sure enough, sway bar. So that needs to go. And Hopefully I can figure out the bar pin eliminator mod.  ;D
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 12:40:22 AM »
Ok so, just got to work and noticed my Front breather tube hanging down. sheared right in half about a foot up. Looks like it melted on the exhaust, so I will be replacing that next week. Looks like quarter inch tubing? Also in searching that, stubled upon this mod for the tranny breather vent on the automatic tf999. It says it may work for other transmissions as well. Thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?referrerid=57133&t=586054
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 12:54:42 AM by BlacXJeep »
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 03:04:27 AM »
Ok so, just got to work and noticed my Front breather tube hanging down. sheared right in half about a foot up. Looks like it melted on the exhaust, so I will be replacing that next week. Looks like quarter inch tubing? Also in searching that, stubled upon this mod for the tranny breather vent on the automatic tf999. It says it may work for other transmissions as well. Thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?referrerid=57133&t=586054

call me