Author Topic: Hand Throttle  (Read 1173 times)

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Hand Throttle
« on: June 18, 2009, 12:43:39 AM »
My home brew OBA set up sparked a lot of interest, so my newest creation, might do the same.  With the OBA I needed a way to bump up the RPMs to about 1500-1800 for the best performance.  I was using a "calibrated" zip tie between the throttle body stop, but I wanted a way to work three pedals at the same time also.  I have seen a lot of write ups on this, but they all use a 10 speed shifter, or a BMX Brake lever.  I like to be a little more creative then that.  I found a hand throttle for a ridding lawn mower at advance auto for $8 and then picked up a 4 pack of bike cables from Wal-Mart for $5. The key to making the hand throttle work in harmony with the pedal is the 16lb chain from Home Depot for .54 cents.  I mounted the hand throttle on the front right hand side of the drivers seat, routed the cable under the carpet, through an existing hole in the fire wall and then up and similar to the accelerator cable.  I found an air line connection ( bolt with a hole through the middle) to attach the cable housing to the accelerator cable bracket.  The end of the cable attaches to about 3" of the chain and the chain attaches to the throttle body right next to the accelerator cable. 

It works awesome and looks very clean.  It has a groove in the handle throttle that clicks it into the stop position for a little bit of safety.  I wanted to take some pictures during the install, but Jess had the camera and she wasn't home.  I'll try to get some on Saturday during the post ride air up.   
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

Re: Hand Throttle
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 12:48:38 AM »
Sick setup, but....where the pics??

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 12:52:13 AM »
i wanna see that.
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

Offline phoenix

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 01:48:08 AM »
hmm, been waiting for a chance to post this! ;D

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 02:44:11 AM »
Kirk, we can take pictures of the steps involved when you help me do that to my XJ now. haha  We can do that set up at the same time were setting up my OBA.  ;D
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 02:51:26 AM »
I'll toss a little info in on this topic. JD's Jeep is a 5 speed and when I put the winch on, a hand throttle was pretty much mandatory for winching duty. The one I purchased is from Rubicon Express ($30). It is similarto your homebrew one Kirk, in that it can be adjusted and then locked down but if you're going to try to drive and crawl with this type of setup it's a PITA >:(. It's always just a little too much gas. The best setup for using it to drive with is one that works just like your foot pedal only somewhere that's within hand reach and easy to feather. Just my .02  ;D

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 03:44:02 AM »
I'll toss a little info in on this topic. JD's Jeep is a 5 speed and when I put the winch on, a hand throttle was pretty much mandatory for winching duty. The one I purchased is from Rubicon Express ($30). It is similarto your homebrew one Kirk, in that it can be adjusted and then locked down but if you're going to try to drive and crawl with this type of setup it's a PITA >:(. It's always just a little too much gas. The best setup for using it to drive with is one that works just like your foot pedal only somewhere that's within hand reach and easy to feather. Just my .02  ;D

I looked into the brake handle set up like you are talking about, but I settled on this one since the adjustment is pretty accurate.  I'll hopefully will get a chance to use it on Saturday.  I figure worst case I am out $13.54. I still have brake cables from my 4 pack of cables if I switch to a brake handle.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT