Author Topic: stupid idea  (Read 1316 times)

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
stupid idea
« on: June 07, 2009, 05:20:28 AM »
ok i have come up with a brilliant idea!!!! ok here it goes. i just priced out a brand new 4 door wrangler with all the stuff i want on it for 34k. then i went to rough country and got a 6inch lift and Front Extended Driveshaft, Rear Extended Driveshaft, Dual Steering Stabilizer kit, and 1.5" Wheel Spacers. then i'd get 5 36x13.50-15 Super Swamper IROK totaling an xtra 3.5k. and to get that i've decided to rob a bank.... anybody wanna help?
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: stupid idea
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 06:06:41 AM »
I've those kinds of ideas in my head too, but all I can afford to do is piece mine together little by little.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 06:14:04 AM »
yeah. oh hey btw. i found a reciever that my buddy is giving me off of his 94 xj. so now all i need to do is buy your hooks off you. how much did u want for them?
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline Tsunami

• Rock Crawler
    • Tsunami's facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:04:24 AM »
great idea... let me know how it works out for you
 :P
2010 mazdaspeed3

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 02:46:04 PM »
i think you should start small to build up the xj.  rob the liquor store and work your way up to the bank.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 05:03:39 PM »
LMFAO! omg i almost started crying when i read that i laughed so hard ;D but yeah everyday is a new idea. right now i need to get my tow points and different leafs
1982 CJ7-stock

PaulW

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 08:26:29 PM »
LMFAO! omg i almost started crying when i read that i laughed so hard ;D but yeah everyday is a new idea. right now i need to get my tow points and different leafs

put a trailer hitch on the back and then universal tow hooks from auto zone work just fine for the front you can get them both for about 30 bucks.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 09:55:16 PM »
im putting on the reciever this week and roger is giving me his tow hooks
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 11:16:20 PM »

put a trailer hitch on the back and then universal tow hooks from auto zone work just fine for the front you can get them both for about 30 bucks.

On a XJ with no frame you'll rip universal tow hooks right out of the front of it. I've seen it happen twice. I'm selling him my tow hooks that have the frame brackets so they can be mounted securely and not rip out of the unibody frame.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 01:35:16 AM »

On a XJ with no frame you'll rip universal tow hooks right out of the front of it. I've seen it happen twice. I'm selling him my tow hooks that have the frame brackets so they can be mounted securely and not rip out of the unibody frame.

I plated the inside and outside of the frame rails on mine with 1/4"  flat stock and they never came out.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 04:10:32 AM »
Unless you hit the lottery, it takes time.  I have been building my Jeep for 9 years now and it is now where close to done.  My problem is I keep jumping to projects on my other toys.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 04:23:16 AM »
yeah lol i build computers too and im waiting to get to the duty station before i start my next one but i like working on the jeep too. but yeah. im gonna put that receiver on and those hooks and i should be set for stock stuff at the moment.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 03:49:58 PM »

I plated the inside and outside of the frame rails on mine with 1/4"  flat stock and they never came out.

If you plate the unibody frame, then yes, the univeral tow hooks would do fine, but I don't remember anybody talking about plating Doug's XJ to put universal tow hooks on it. The tow hook brackets for XJs are basically the same thing as plating the front end since they add more steel to the unibody frame up front and sandwich it.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 04:14:25 AM »

If you plate the unibody frame, then yes, the univeral tow hooks would do fine, but I don't remember anybody talking about plating Doug's XJ to put universal tow hooks on it. The tow hook brackets for XJs are basically the same thing as plating the front end since they add more steel to the unibody frame up front and sandwich it.

ya i forgot to mention that fact