Author Topic: uhhhhhhh?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline moosin

• Trail Boss
  • Trail Master
uhhhhhhh?
« on: May 17, 2009, 02:39:36 AM »
anybody have any ideas as why my backup lights stay on whenever i turn on my parking and or headlights?

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Re: uhhhhhhh?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 03:34:14 AM »
check the grounding switch for your reverse lights, must have gotten jarred while wheeling.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 03:39:33 AM »
i don't think reverse lights work when you don't have your headlights on. So it would make sense that if that grounding switch is broken ( its permanently grounded) as soon as you give it a 12v power source your reverse lights would stay on constantly whether you were in reverse or not. Just an idea.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 02:34:15 PM »
Reverse lights should only come on when you put it in reverse.  They do not come on whether or not you have your headlights on.  I agree, check the ground, or the relay.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 03:23:44 PM »
what's the vehicle?  i'll pull a wiring diagram and see if i can help.

Offline moosin

• Trail Boss
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 12:12:46 AM »
99 wrangler. during my late night searching may have found the problem to be the backup switch.its on the side of the tranny just unplug wires and back it out doesnt seem to be a difficult job when i find some time ???of course it is a jeep so ill need a spare weekend to get it done.

PaulW

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 12:30:00 AM »
according to the wiring diagram, they show nothing in common between the two circuits except the grounds inside the rear taillights.  checks to see if power is backfeeding anywhere inside the rear light assemblies themselves.  if the backup light switch went bad then it would leave the reverse light on all the time regardless of the headlights being on or not.

Offline moosin

• Trail Boss
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 02:20:45 AM »
yep pretty sure thats what it is (backup switch)lights stay on all the time.took the easy way out for now and pulled the lights out ;D

PaulW

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »
yep pretty sure thats what it is (backup switch)lights stay on all the time.took the easy way out for now and pulled the lights out ;D

That works