Author Topic: F@*%ing Body Lift  (Read 2508 times)

PaulW

Re: F@*%ing Body Lift
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 03:01:37 PM »
i know about the battle scars jeeps can leave, i was pulling a trans out in my yard one day when the trans slipped off the jack and landed on my finger, shattered the tip into 3 pieces and tore the entire nail with finger tip 3/4 of the way off, it was just kinda hanging there afterwards, hope your ok though bud

i'm guessing you didnt' use the straps/chains on the tranny jack?

i was on the ground in my yard, using a floor jack.  that was the last time i ever do that again.  i built a low rise trans jack afterwards.  just took th etop off the trans jack and adapted it to a floor jack works a hell of a lot better.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »
I saw the ortho doc today and she had great news for me, JUST A FLESH WOUND.  The tendon is fine and the bone shows no damage.  She ditched the split and now I just have it wrapped with some gauze and tape.  I have to go back next Thursday to have the stitches removed.   ;D
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 08:47:55 PM »
JUST A FLESH WOUND. 

LOL...Great news!

I have to go back next Thursday to have the stitches removed. 

Hopefully in the morning, my Ceremony is at 1400!

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 05:10:10 AM »

I have to go back next Thursday to have the stitches removed. 

Hopefully in the morning, my Ceremony is at 1400!
[/quote]

My appointment is at 1100, so I'll be there!!!
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 05:24:05 AM »
I got back to work on the Jeep this afternoon.  I got the grinder back out and "carefully" finished grinding the head off the last bolt.  I then put a long ratchet extension ( like a center punch) up to the rest of the bolt and used a floor jack and the weight of the Jeep to bust the welds off of the bracket that holds the body nut on.  It worked great, and very fast.   The rest of the body lift went smooth.  The hole that I busted the nut out of, I just used a nut and a washer to make it work.

For the outer grill supports, I wasn't going to remove the grill to un-bolt the old ones and bolt up the new ones.  Instead I grabbed them with a pair of channel locks and ripped the old ones off, and then lubed up the new ones, tapped them into place and when I lowered the body down they slid right on.

To cover the gap in the front, I used a stock TJ frame cover which sits about an inch higher.  I had to tack weld a few nuts into some frame holes and drill a couple of small holes for screws. but I think it came out pretty good. 

Tomorrow I'll be installing the MML ;)

2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 04:34:21 PM »

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 03:43:11 AM »

It's just a body lift, not all that exciting.  If anyone is dieing to see it, I'll be at the cruise on Sat.

Installed the 1" MML today, and after I figured out how many pieces of wood I needed under my floor jack to get the engine high enough (turn out the answer was 2 pieces of 2x6) it went pretty smooth.  The driver side was a little more difficult, but total job took a little over an hour.  While I was installing the passenger side mount, I noticed some antifreeze on my impact wrench.  I checked the over flow tank and it was empty and the radiator was low, so I knew my Jeep was leaking some where, but no drips on the garage floor.  I found that one of my heater hoses had a small hole in it, so on my way to pick up my truck from the body shop I hit up autozone and bought some heater hose and antifreeze.  Problem fixed. 
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 05:20:14 AM »
meant the finger

Offline phoenix

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 11:19:41 AM »
I gotta ask, what is a MML? Is that another jeep thing I don't understand? ;D

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 01:29:23 PM »

Motor Mount Lift.  Required to reduce the angle of your driveline to help cut down on vibrations or to make clearance for a belly up type skid plate...

PaulW

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 03:06:53 PM »

Motor Mount Lift.  Required to reduce the angle of your driveline to help cut down on vibrations or to make clearance for a belly up type skid plate...
it was primarily designed to reduce driveline angle so you dont have to lower the t-case.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 02:23:09 AM »
My reasons for the MML is to make room for the belly skid I plan on adding in the future (hopefully near future).  By doing the 1" body lift and the lifting the motor up 1" I now have the room and the correct angles to tuck the tranny and transfer case up a little and make the bottom of my Jeep as flat as possible. 

For every inch I can tuck the tranny and transfer case it it like going 2" taller with tires. 
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 02:32:26 AM »
My reasons for the MML is to make room for the belly skid I plan on adding in the future (hopefully near future).  By doing the 1" body lift and the lifting the motor up 1" I now have the room and the correct angles to tuck the tranny and transfer case up a little and make the bottom of my Jeep as flat as possible. 

For every inch I can tuck the tranny and transfer case it it like going 2" taller with tires. 

nice 8: