Author Topic: Starter wont start  (Read 4094 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Starter wont start
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 03:06:28 PM »
It was my ignition switch.  Pual came and poked and prodded wires and fuses for twenty minutes or so and followed the scematc back to the switch.  The man is good and he knows his stuff!

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 01:33:00 AM »
I'm glad to hear someone understands electrical stuff ;)!!!  Nice job Paul!!!!
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 02:30:30 AM »
Way to go Paul. I think when my engine finally gives up the ghost I know who to call now.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 01:13:10 PM »
It was my ignition switch.  Pual came and poked and prodded wires and fuses for twenty minutes or so and followed the scematc back to the switch.  The man is good and he knows his stuff!

Did you get the new switch in yet?

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 02:51:54 PM »
yeah I got the new switch but as I was taking the old one off I broke the mechanism between the tumbler and the switch.  Back to autozone.  Dangit I was really hoping to drive it today. 

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 05:34:09 PM »
So it looks like that part cant be found.  hey Roger, when are you getting that jeep?  Can I scavenage a piece from the ignition switch?

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 06:39:13 PM »
So it looks like that part cant be found.  hey Roger, when are you getting that jeep?  Can I scavenage a piece from the ignition switch?

I'm hoping to get it this week. Thursday is bad, but it looks like Friday is do-able. I just need to get hold of Kirk to see if he can do it either Friday afternoon/evening or Saturday. I can also do it Wednesday, but we'll need to get a couple guys there to help get it on the trailer and it's kind of short notice now. I don't have any plans with any of the ignition so you're welcome to it.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 07:59:27 PM »
I'm going to try and migty putty it tonight bcits just killing me sitting there with this nice weather.  But I guess even if it does work I should have a backup bc who knows how long mighty putty lasts.  If it doesnt work I'm kicking Billy Banks butt!

PaulW

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 12:17:28 AM »
I'm going to try and migty putty it tonight bcits just killing me sitting there with this nice weather.  But I guess even if it does work I should have a backup bc who knows how long mighty putty lasts.  If it doesnt work I'm kicking Billy Banks butt!

those parts are tj specific.  you may be able to get it from the junk yard, but never know.  you can leave the switch hanging from the column and just use a screw driver to start/stop the truck, and the key will be a "steering wheel lock" only after that meaning you can still start and stop and dive the jeep forward and backwards, but without the key you can't turn the steering wheel.  if you want to come to southington, or cromwell i'll see what i can do to afro engineer it for ya.

alldata lists all of those peices as the entire column.

PaulW

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 12:32:44 AM »
r&m auto recyclers in new britian has the whole column for $100

PaulW

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 01:46:22 AM »
Ya if you can bring the truck up here then we can probably fix it, if not then we can put the column in no problem

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 02:10:38 AM »
As of yesterday there were no TJ's at Deans Auto Recycling, and just a TJ shell at Smith's 4x4 in North Franklin.  Jordan's in Norwich was a A-hole and the only TJ he has is repairable so he is only selling it complete.  Zach said he found a place that has several TJ's but I don't remember where he said it was.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 01:54:31 PM »
As of yesterday there were no TJ's at Deans Auto Recycling, and just a TJ shell at Smith's 4x4 in North Franklin.  Jordan's in Norwich was a A-hole and the only TJ he has is repairable so he is only selling it complete.  Zach said he found a place that has several TJ's but I don't remember where he said it was.

www.car-part.com there's about 7 yards around me that have more then 1 column.

PaulW

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 03:16:19 AM »
btw get more bug spray  ::)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 02:49:20 PM »
Just havested the piece from an XJ at Deans.  She should be up and running tonight!!!!!!!!