Author Topic: Somebody with some space I can borrow?  (Read 3402 times)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Somebody with some space I can borrow?
« on: April 20, 2009, 12:34:16 AM »
I ran across a 88 XJ for sale to be parted out. The engine is locked up, but the body and everything else on it are in great condition. It has nearly new tires and many other good parts on it. I want a bunch of the parts and she won't let me take parts off of it. If I bought this is there anybody's place that I could keep it for a couple weeks while I stripped parts and then brought the rest of it to the junkyard? Kirk, I'm hoping I can borrow your trailer and rent you to help haul it around with your truck. she is only asking $300 for the whole thing and I think we could make some money on the parts that we could sell.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Re: Somebody with some space I can borrow?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 02:05:56 AM »
I should get my truck back next week, so I should have no problem helping out.  We will probably need some help getting the XJ onto the trailer, but worst case we can use my pull pal and winch it up a little at a time.  Just let me know when you want to do it. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 03:08:49 AM »
im closing on my house may 4thish, if you have a car tent then your welcome to put it in my yard.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 04:13:32 AM »
I've got the space, but only a 4x8 trailer (can haul stuff to the dump, but not get it here)
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 04:20:22 AM »
if you need some help getting it around i can lend some man power. also if it's possible that i could buy some parts off of you if possible. wish you'd of bought this earlier lol, i just replaced all them body parts on the front end.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 05:04:20 AM »
if you need some help getting it around i can lend some man power. also if it's possible that i could buy some parts off of you if possible. wish you'd of bought this earlier lol, i just replaced all them body parts on the front end.

I didn't look close at the front end bushings or anything, but I did notice that the control arms are in good condition and it has almost brand new 235/75/15 Cooper tires that would fit your stock XJ.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 05:10:27 AM »
I've got the space, but only a 4x8 trailer (can haul stuff to the dump, but not get it here)

Jeremy, I was hoping you'd offer some space. You were the only one I could think of in the club that has the space to dismantle a vehicle. I think between Kirk helping me with his truck and car trailer and bringing it out to your place I can get this XJ, strip it and then send the rest to the junk yard.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 05:15:50 AM »
Sounds like a plan to me.  I was hoping that the tire were a little smaller so I could use them on my trailer.  The tires I have are ok, but the rims are 5 on 4.5 so jeep rims will fit.  Does this XJ have a D44 rear for you to swap in?  After you strip it down you could sell parts off on craigslist and ebay and could make some $$ of this. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 06:24:44 AM »

I didn't look close at the front end bushings or anything, but I did notice that the control arms are in good condition and it has almost brand new 235/75/15 Cooper tires that would fit your stock XJ.
ha, i wasn't talking about those bushing, i can just get new ones but i was talking about the fender, front face piece, and bumper that i just had replaced. but yeah if u think we can use the bracket off of it i'll throw u some money for those and if u wanna sell me the tires i'll gladly take them off of your hands.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 01:47:04 PM »

ha, i wasn't talking about those bushing, i can just get new ones but i was talking about the fender, front face piece, and bumper that i just had replaced. but yeah if u think we can use the bracket off of it i'll throw u some money for those and if u wanna sell me the tires i'll gladly take them off of your hands.

The front fenders and fascia up front switched on Cherokees in 1997. Since yours is a 2000 you'd have to change both fenders and some other things in order to get it to fit. I'm actually thinking about putting the fenders and hood on my XJ. This one is the exact same color as mine and the paint is in much better shape.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 04:19:16 PM »
Sounds like a plan to me.  I was hoping that the tire were a little smaller so I could use them on my trailer.  The tires I have are ok, but the rims are 5 on 4.5 so jeep rims will fit.  Does this XJ have a D44 rear for you to swap in?  After you strip it down you could sell parts off on craigslist and ebay and could make some $$ of this. 

This one just has a D35 again, but I have some feelers out for a couple 8.25 axles on the NAXJA board. I don't want to hang onto this for too long so I'm going to take off what I need and what other members need. I know Sandbox Sailor is looking for some parts for his XJ. Are there any junk yards in this area for me to search for a stock 8.25 axle?
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 06:25:29 PM »

This one just has a D35 again, but I have some feelers out for a couple 8.25 axles on the NAXJA board. I don't want to hang onto this for too long so I'm going to take off what I need and what other members need. I know Sandbox Sailor is looking for some parts for his XJ. Are there any junk yards in this area for me to search for a stock 8.25 axle?

i got my 8.25 for 125 from chuck and eddies.  if you tell them that you dont care about application, or gear ratio then they'll let you go out and "pick one" just tell them that you need it to keep the junk driveable while you are building the rear.  they're in southington and new haven.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 08:08:19 PM »
Smith's 4x4 in New Franklin (about 30 minutes away) is pretty much a Jeep only junk yard.  I have only been in the parking lot, but I have read on other forums that it is the place to go for Jeep parts.  I plan on heading there sometime in the near future to get some parts. 
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
I talked to a guy on Naxja and have a 8.25 out of a 99 XJ waiting on me in Guilford, CT. What's nice about the 99 is that in 97 they switched all of the 8.25 from 27 to 29 spline shafts so this will be about the strongest I can put in my Cherokee that will be a direct bolt in with no modications required. Comes with drums, pads and everything.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:54:47 PM by calvynandhobbs »
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 10:20:15 PM »
I talked to a guy on Naxja and have a 8.25 out of a 99 XJ waiting on me in Guilford, CT. What's nice about the 99 is that in 97 they switched all of the 8.25 from 27 to 29 spline shafts so this will be about the strongest I can put in my Cherokee that will be a direct bolt in with no modications required. Comes with drums, pads and everything.

might be able to get you one locked with 4.56 gears i'll see if the guy is still hard up for $ 29 spline