Author Topic: xj lower control arm  (Read 11918 times)

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
Re: xj lower control arm
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2009, 01:32:44 AM »
alright sounds good, i was able to make the new one fit but it's required a hammer. my buddy is gonna help me with the shocks Saturday morning.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

PaulW

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2009, 01:53:49 PM »
alright sounds good, i was able to make the new one fit but it's required a hammer. my buddy is gonna help me with the shocks Saturday morning.

might stop clunking after all

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2009, 06:28:52 AM »
psh, i doubt it haha, with my luck it's been that weird ass steering box this whole time and if it is i have no f***ing clue whats wrong with it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 07:32:25 PM by calvynandhobbs »
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2009, 03:02:35 PM »
yo homie, try to keep the bad french to pg-13 level. thanks
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2009, 12:42:34 AM »
my apologies. but anyways shocks are in... still clunks... no clue what it is now. i guess the next thing would be tie rods? im not sure. suggestions?
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2009, 01:56:24 AM »
Has this Jeep been wheeled hard?  Tie rods are easy to bend and then they hit other stuff, just ask Tim.  My recomendation is to get the front end off the ground and supported with jack stands and then turn the wheel from side to side to find the problem. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
it hasn't been wheeled hard at all actually, long story short is i bought it from a guy out here in feburary. the air bag light is on, the horn doesn't work, and all the cheaper suspension parts seem to have been replaced. also i noticed that lower  control arm bracket was bent. so the only reasonable explanation is that thing was in a wreck.
1982 CJ7-stock

PaulW

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2009, 09:23:31 PM »
it hasn't been wheeled hard at all actually, long story short is i bought it from a guy out here in feburary. the air bag light is on, the horn doesn't work, and all the cheaper suspension parts seem to have been replaced. also i noticed that lower  control arm bracket was bent. so the only reasonable explanation is that thing was in a wreck.

you put in used shocks right??  did they come back up on theyre own when you had them out or did they stay collapsed??

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2009, 03:36:30 PM »
both sets of the shocks came right back up. the old ones weren't even bad other than the fact that the bushing fell completely out of it.
1982 CJ7-stock

PaulW

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2009, 12:44:02 AM »
both sets of the shocks came right back up. the old ones weren't even bad other than the fact that the bushing fell completely out of it.

well then i guess you need some tinker time to find the noise.  is it quieter with the replacement shocks??

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2009, 12:38:33 AM »
nope. it's getting louder now actually. it happens on turns. i think it's where the shaft connects to the steering box but idk how to check it for damage or anything.
1982 CJ7-stock

PaulW

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2009, 03:22:02 PM »
nope. it's getting louder now actually. it happens on turns. i think it's where the shaft connects to the steering box but idk how to check it for damage or anything.

Probably a bad u-joint

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2009, 03:39:08 PM »

Probably a bad u-joint

I agree. If it's clunking at turn it could be an axleshaft ujoint.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2009, 11:32:27 PM »
hm...  it could be. i'll have to check it out on sunday when i go to put on the receiver
1982 CJ7-stock

PaulW

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2009, 08:46:39 PM »
hm...  it could be. i'll have to check it out on sunday when i go to put on the receiver

thats good learning experience for you. call me if you need help lol