Author Topic: xj lower control arm  (Read 11899 times)

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
Re: xj lower control arm
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 01:58:48 PM »
Sorry must have missed this post somewhere.....I just did mine umm two months ago.  Its not difficult.  Pulling the axle does make things easier...I disconnected everything from the axle side and pulled out the axle...placed it on some jackstands, removed and cleaned up the axle then had scott weld on the new bracket.  Make sure you make marks on the axle before removing the old bracket....That way you know where to position the new ones....They are significantly bigger and work great. 

The other benefit to taking out the axle is painting everything while its off the jeep.  Make sure you put a couple coats of paint on the new brackets and welds. 

Are you driving it while you wait for parts....dont do that.  When that bracket goes it goes hard....damn near ripped the other side and the uppers off of mine when it happened and I was only going about 5 mph in the snow. 

If you need any help let me know...
I do cheeks for free just ask...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
 l_--\__\__l_/---\_[] llll [)
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

PaulW

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 02:49:25 PM »
they're real easy to put in.  i got cheap last time i ripped one off and just welded 1/4" plate to the outside of the stock mounts on my replacement axle.  but reptile, my closing got bumped to the 29th, if you want to come out to bristol we can use my boys shop and just put the jeep up on the lift.  it'll be so much easier even if we do pull the whole diff out.

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 05:23:47 PM »
You dont really need the lift...you can do it easy with a set of jackstands on the frame.  make sure you have an extra set for the axle when you pull it out though...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 08:48:27 PM »
i have been driving it, mudding it, everything is fine on it there are no problems it's just bent abit, i wanna put a 3 inch lift on it so i figured i needed to replace them b4 i did it.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

PaulW

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 01:56:16 PM »
You dont really need the lift...

need it no, but if you have it....

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 02:31:37 PM »
agree on the lift Paul....The danger is driving it.   I wouldnt be driving that thing...mine bent a bit then broke alot. Thats how it happens.  Be careful man.  Once the thing starts to tear off the axle it goes quickly. 

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

PaulW

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 03:46:30 PM »
agree on the lift Paul....The danger is driving it.   I wouldnt be driving that thing...mine bent a bit then broke alot. Thats how it happens.  Be careful man.  Once the thing starts to tear off the axle it goes quickly. 

I snapped my lower control arm off on OFR.  tied the axle to the bumper with a chain, finished the road and then drove it back to the town to wait for AAA.  it handled fine, so I drove it all the way back to southington from northwest mass.  probably not the smartest thing to do, but it made it.  If he's been driving it, I hope one DRIVE TO BRISTOL TO USE THE LIFT TO FIX THE TRUCK AT MY FRIENDS SHOP  isn't the camel's straw.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 08:11:24 PM by PaulW »

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 08:57:23 PM »
that would be my luck actually.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

PaulW

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2009, 09:56:55 PM »
that would be my luck actually.

i have a tow truck there  ;D

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 11:04:17 PM »
ha well that will work if worse comes to worse. i don't know if i should order them from rusty's or if bumper to bumper would have them.
1982 CJ7-stock

PaulW

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 11:17:16 PM »
ha well that will work if worse comes to worse. i don't know if i should order them from rusty's or if bumper to bumper would have them.

rusty's.  you can't even get them from the dealer.  it's part of the housing only.

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 12:31:35 PM »
Rusty's man.  The ones they carry are huge in comparison.  I used to have a pic but I cant find it.  Makes the stock ones look like sheet metal. 

Once you put a lift on your going to want the extra protection cause then your dealing with death wiggle and the problem only gets worse.  And death wiggle is a constant battle in cherokees.  We can talk about that some more in another writeup.  But it is a problem with lifting. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:34:18 PM by CaptORM »

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

PaulW

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 01:18:48 PM »
Rusty's man.  The ones they carry are huge in comparison.  I used to have a pic but I cant find it.  Makes the stock ones look like sheet metal. 

Once you put a lift on your going to want the extra protection cause then your dealing with death wiggle and the problem only gets worse.  And death wiggle is a constant battle in cherokees.  We can talk about that some more in another writeup.  But it is a problem with lifting. 

you had a wiggle??  mine felt like the whole truck was in a paint mixer!  but yea start with beefing as much as you can!

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 01:30:58 AM »
order is in for them. said 10-14 business days. hope not as long. as soon as they get here im ready. i've also decided on a 3 inch lift from rusty's also. hope to buy that in a month. will need help with that more than likely.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 04:47:27 AM »
Reptile did you see this? Saw it on craigs and posted it with you in mind. Can't beat that deal. even if u have to wait till u fix other stuff before you install it.

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/pts/1163155369.html
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.