Author Topic: leaky stearing box  (Read 1051 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
leaky stearing box
« on: March 19, 2009, 04:34:00 AM »
Hey guys, I've got a small but steady drip coming from the top of the stearing box.  Any ideas of what exactly it is and how to fix it?

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Re: leaky stearing box
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 05:33:35 AM »
Most likely a busted line.  The cheap fix would be to add some power steering stop leak, but the correct way would be to find the busted hose and replace it.

You could also look at this as a chance to upgrade.  I'm not sure if it will work on a TJ, but a Durango steering box is a popular YJ upgrade.  You can also look into hydo assist, but that is some serious over kill. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 03:14:01 PM »
Most likely a busted line.  The cheap fix would be to add some power steering stop leak, but the correct way would be to find the busted hose and replace it.

You could also look at this as a chance to upgrade.  I'm not sure if it will work on a TJ, but a Durango steering box is a popular YJ upgrade.  You can also look into hydo assist, but that is some serious over kill. 

wagoneer box fits on a tj.  i've done that swap for people before.  but you can just replace the seals if it's leaking, the seals are fairly cheap and the box doesn't require rocket science to open and rebuild. 

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 06:06:23 PM »
Thanks guys.  I really havent had a chance to get down there and really check it out. 

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 10:59:11 PM »
i think it is just wear and tear. if you hit it pretty good then you can warp a seal or bearing so it doesnt seat properly.

you can tell you are turing the wheel and it leaks more in a certain spot.