Author Topic: so someone mentioned they were a general contractor??  (Read 1230 times)

PaulW

so someone mentioned they were a general contractor??
« on: March 02, 2009, 12:06:11 AM »
i put in a bid on a house yesterday that has a nice 2 car garage.  i was wondering if there was any way to raise the ceiling height.  heres some pics of what it has.  i'm not looking to raise the roof just the ceiling. 

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
Re: so someone mentioned they were a general contractor??
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 01:29:01 AM »
I'm not a Licensed general contractor but the Navy thinks I could be.  ;D Yes the ceiling height can be raised but as the ceiling height goes up, you will still have some parts of your ceiling that are sloped the same as the roof pitch. In theory, you should only go as high as the walls unless you plan on keeping the "attic" free of heavy stuff. A typical ceiling height has it's joists resting on the top of the wall. To do what you want would hang the ceiling joists from the rafters and thus, not strong enough to store a bunch of stuff on. It would easily support some 3/8" drywall and some lights though, to finish it off cleanly.

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 03:12:38 AM »
congrats on finding a house.

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 01:34:18 PM »
I'm not a Licensed general contractor but the Navy thinks I could be.  ;D Yes the ceiling height can be raised but as the ceiling height goes up, you will still have some parts of your ceiling that are sloped the same as the roof pitch. In theory, you should only go as high as the walls unless you plan on keeping the "attic" free of heavy stuff. A typical ceiling height has it's joists resting on the top of the wall. To do what you want would hang the ceiling joists from the rafters and thus, not strong enough to store a bunch of stuff on. It would easily support some 3/8" drywall and some lights though, to finish it off cleanly.

yea that's all I want to do.  I'd like to bring it from 8 to about 10 feet if possible.  i have a mid rise lift and i'd like to get vehicles as high as possible.

And thanks Hot-Rod. 

Offline phoenix

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 12:34:48 AM »
Not a contractor, nor do I play one on tv, but this is confusing. The 1st pic looks like the beam is the only structural part up there, but the 2nd pic look like stick built truss's? Any chance of another pics like the 2nd, but a few feet further back and just a touch lower?

PaulW

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 02:27:01 PM »
Not a contractor, nor do I play one on tv, but this is confusing. The 1st pic looks like the beam is the only structural part up there, but the 2nd pic look like stick built truss's? Any chance of another pics like the 2nd, but a few feet further back and just a touch lower?

I'll get some better pics when we get in there to clean.  Correct though, the 1st pic is the beam.  there's one in the front and one in the back of the garage that run left to right.  it then has joists that run front to rear off those joists and the ties popping off them to the ceiling trusses.