Author Topic: Wont start, please help!  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
Re: Wont start, please help!
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 02:39:19 AM »
While you have the multimeter out.... Jump the jeep off and remove the jumper cables. you should see between 13.3 and 14.4 volts DC at the battery. I have had a diode in the internal regulator go bad, the battery allowed me to drive to work but the alt wouldn't charge the battery. There is also a fusable link somewhere in that system Just can't remember where. Could just be the cabling or the ground but there's a couple more things to check for you.
Good luck!
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 04:40:50 AM »
if you already have the replacement type terminals that the wire is clamped onto the terminal bt a couple bolts take them apart and clean the ends of the wires as well as the terminals.

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 12:39:22 PM »
Ok now for future protection check this:

There is a cable that runs from your battery to your fuse box.  Where that cable mounts to the fuse box loosen the bolt and run a wire brush around the connection.  Then tighten the bolt back down.  Ive had a bad connection on that mount several time. 
I do cheeks for free just ask...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
 l_--\__\__l_/---\_[] llll [)
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 04:55:11 AM »
Ok, now that you have read all the various suggestions, have you fixed it yet?  What was the prob?
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 05:34:06 AM »
Boy do I miss my garage!!!  I was out in the dark cold rain cleaning the cable ends.  The positive bubbled way more than the positive.  I greased them up, reinstalled and .................................................................VAROOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!    Its alive, its alive!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks again guys for the info.

Ummm didnt you read it???????

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 12:23:27 AM »
missed it, sorry.  I always click the last page and unless it looks like i missed something by the first post on the page, i usually dont' go back.  I interpeted gastanks's post to be another suggestion to find the problem. oops!
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work