Author Topic: rear brakes for the lone LJ  (Read 1365 times)

tx_country

rear brakes for the lone LJ
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:00:53 PM »
well boys and girls... found out i currently have no rear brakes... the rotors and pads need replacing. i should have everything tool wise i need and well i know how to do it. my question for you all is... do you have any reccommendations on brands?? or where to pick up the parts... i'll be home most of the day looking at prices on line... let me know. i'll let everyone know when i'm going to do it because an extra set of hands is always welcome. and well the truth is i got all this beer and since my wife is preggo... no one to help me drink it. (open invite to my house for anyone to come over anytime.)
pm me or call... 8598161443
tim

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: rear brakes for the lone LJ
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:44:39 PM »
I'll be able to help if those goes into Thursday evening after work. I have to coach tonight out in Southington and have church tomorrow night.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 08:45:49 PM »
Brembo! 

Yeah, right...

Bosche is also good, and at a good price.  Advance Auto, Autozone, and Bumper to Bumper all have them.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:09:20 PM »
on that u want factory.  all other stuff squeaks and squaks and pulsates.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 01:33:30 PM »
If you have the $$, go for ceramic.  Napa has great quality pads (both thier brand and the brands they carry).  Brakes is one area you don't want to go cheap on!  For thoes who have never done rear disk brakes, you need a special tool to re-set the pistion; you can't just push it in w/ a c-clamp.  it has to be rotated in.  the tool looks like a cube w/ bumps and holes all over it; cost $10 at advanced.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

tx_country

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 01:43:05 PM »
i have the parts (i went to advance and got the wearever ceramic pads and rotors)... and the special tool (thanks rocket)... and thanks for the advice everyone... i will be doing this thursday afternoon around 430 (1630 for us navy types)... anyone is welcome to come over. i live right near the Groton Townhouse. and I have a garage. pm or call 8598161443 if you wanna come over.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 03:51:34 PM by tx_country »

tx_country

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 11:54:03 AM »
the brake job went off with out a hitch. in fact i feel retarded for asking for help because it was amazingly easy. i didn't even need the special tool or anything. all i had to do was find a way to make my jack tall enough to lift my jeep, so i used the concrete drain thing from the gutters. so if anyone needs help or that little special tool... let me know.