Author Topic: AC to air compressor  (Read 2800 times)

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
AC to air compressor
« on: February 02, 2009, 06:20:05 PM »
Anybody got some good info on changing the ac compressor into an air compressor.  been doing some research,  was wondering if anybody else had looked into it...
I do cheeks for free just ask...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
 l_--\__\__l_/---\_[] llll [)
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: AC to air compressor
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:24:22 PM »
Kirk did it on his YJ. There are quite a few good online articles and it's something that I want to do before we hit the meat of our wheeling schedule this year. I just don't feel comfortable yet in doing it myself. Maybe we can everybody that wants to do the conversion together at one place and have a wrenchathon.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:26:51 PM »
I've thought about doing it before, but the only problem is you have to use a certain type of compressor that can use an external oil source.  If you try to use the stock compressor you'll have NO oil in it and burn it out before you air up 3 tires.  Search google for archive posts and you'll find it.

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 11:11:30 PM »
Yeah, just spend the $159 bucks for the fake powertank on Ebay and call it good. Easy, fast and portable. This is the guys store but he doesn't have any right now showing as available. E-mail him if you're interested. It basically a no name Powertank complete with the regulator and hose, but for a couple hundo less...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 11:22:51 PM by Seabee_BUC »

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 02:14:41 AM »
If you use a stock AC Compressor you have to make an oiling system.  Here is a quick run down of how I made mine, and trust me, it kicks out a lot of air. 

Used a small valve cover breather filter for the intake, this run to the low side of the compressor.  On this line I created a return for the oiling system (discussed later).  Coming out of the high side of the compressor I used stainless steel braided line, since the poly line I used in the rest of the system, was melting since it was getting too hot.  The braided line run to an oil separator made by Husky with a spring loaded dump valve at the bottom.  From the bottom of the oil separator, I used some small clear tubing that runs to the low side hose discussed above.  I dumped some air compressor oil into the low side hose and it cycles through and ends up in the oil separator.  Every few minutes, I just turn the dump valve and the oil shoots back into the system.  I haven't used mine a ton, but guys on-line with similar setups have run them for a while like this with no problem. 

On the output of the oil separator I ran the hose to an old gallon and a half fire extinguisher that I use for a tank.  Out of the tank I made a manifold that has a cut off valve, pressure gauge and a regulator.  I put a quick disconnect on the end.  I ran power to a rocker switch and then to a pressure switch in the system and then to the compressor.  The compressor kick on at 90 psi and shuts off at 120 psi.  I have a few small leaks some where so I usually keep the system off until I need it.  Just to give you an idea of the performance, we aired up 14 33-35" tires in same time it took Axle to air up his 4 tires.  We weren't racing, and we had to made some repairs to melted hose, but trust me, it works fast.  I put a calibrated zip tie under the stop for the throttle body and it keeps the engine RPMs about 1600. 

I'll try to get some pics and a parts list, since I know several people were interested after seeing my system.  If you have any questions let me know.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 02:37:05 AM »
Very interested.  Especially if you got it oiled and everything.

The downfall with the power tank stuff is you have to get it filled and you cant run tools off of it for long.   Id like to put a tank in the truck and be able to fill it up to do minor trail repairs with air tools and air up myself and others.  Did quite a bit of reading up already and there are alot of write ups out there.  So doing the research to get it done.  I dont use the damn AC anyway so might as well try it.  If it fails oh well lost a AC compressor that I dont use anyhow....

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 02:46:09 AM »
Kirk, I'd like to see that parts list and convert my compressor. My AC doesn't work anyway so I might as well make it something useful.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 03:16:58 AM »
Ditto ;D

PaulW

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 02:57:01 PM »
Personally I'd rather keep the a/c...2 of the 5 gallon portable airtanks mounted in the back of the jeep are what i used to use.  But now i just buy beadlocks and vehicles that sholdn't be on the road anyways.

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 07:36:39 PM »
After talking with Kirk and doing some more research Im doing it.  Ill make a detailed list of parts and price and a step by step of the instructions if anyone is interested.  Ill start ordering parts next week. 

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 08:38:51 PM »
Rich, I probably have the same AC compressor in my XJ so mine should be relatively the same installation. I look forward to what you come up with.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 09:18:51 PM »
sounds good man...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 10:18:18 PM »
If its cheeper to buy everything in bulk and you dont mind ordering for the rest of us let me know and I'll give you the loot for my supplies.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 11:44:28 PM »
Here is a list of some of my sources when I was looking for parts:

www.airbagit.com

www.chassistech.com

http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/

I bought my pressure switch on ebay, search for air horn pressure switches.  They use the same switches in big rigs with air horns.  Most of the little fittings I bought from Home Depot in Montville.  Then had the oil separator, air hose, connections, etc..  I recommend checking out the plumbing department there also.  The stainless steel braided hose, A/N-6 fittings and adaptors came from Jegs.  I borrowed Rocket's A/N wrenches, which helped not scratching the fittings. 

Hope this helps.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 08:39:19 PM »
I had it on the Ramcharger, The most expensive part was the tank and a new/junkyard AC compressor. Worked like a champ!
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville