Author Topic: Needed 258, Tranny and Transfer Case  (Read 1130 times)

robinpugs06

Needed 258, Tranny and Transfer Case
« on: January 19, 2009, 10:26:21 PM »
Anyone do  V8 swap or parting out a Jeep and have a good running 258, tranny and transfer case I can take off your hands? I don't have alot of money as I lost my job but my Jeep is all I have to drive
Mine is a CJ7:
258: spewing oil out the front end (blew the main seal gasket two days ago) and leaking from every seal
Tranny: noisey
Transfer Case: 4 low no longer works properly - front tires turn but rear don't
I am located in Connecticut and I appreciate anything...

PaulW

Re: Needed 258, Tranny and Transfer Case
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 04:37:46 AM »
I can help you with those gaskets if you want.  They're fairly easy.  And now I have some extra time, since I got "Laid-Off" Today as well.

robinpugs06

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 04:41:42 AM »
Paul,
Thanks...Sorry to hear you got laid off. Seems like this is happening to everyone. My friend has an engine hoist but I don't have a level area to use it. Also, if I want to replace everything to fix the leaks what should I buy and where is the best place to get it all? I can deal with 4low not working (although I got stuck in my driveway 2 times in a week because of ice and when I had 4 low I had no problem) and I can deal with the noisy tranny but I can't deal with the dripping oil. I figure if I am going to replace one oil leak I shoudl replace them all but I am not sure what to get or where?
Thanks again Paul!!
Robin
robinpugs06@aol.com

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 05:40:01 AM »
Paul,
Thanks...Sorry to hear you got laid off. Seems like this is happening to everyone. My friend has an engine hoist but I don't have a level area to use it. Also, if I want to replace everything to fix the leaks what should I buy and where is the best place to get it all? I can deal with 4low not working (although I got stuck in my driveway 2 times in a week because of ice and when I had 4 low I had no problem) and I can deal with the noisy tranny but I can't deal with the dripping oil. I figure if I am going to replace one oil leak I shoudl replace them all but I am not sure what to get or where?
Thanks again Paul!!
Robin
robinpugs06@aol.com

1st step is to get a 2nd vehicle, one in good reliable running condition.  but if that's not a possibility right now do the bear min to keep the 258 alive for now.  i've seen a few cj's with the fuel injected 4.0 transplanted into them with an aw4 and np231.  if your jeep has that many issues, it may just be a good idea to find a donor xj for like 500 and rape the motor trans tcase, wiring and misc shit needed to make the cj fuel injected 4.0.  it's more reliable, and a hell of a lot better motor.

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 05:41:19 AM »
i pm'd ya my phone num on nejeep.  call me, I have to go out to my moms house this week anyways and she's in the same town as you, so if you want i'll come out an asses the beast of which you call your burdon.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 01:44:05 PM »
Fixing leaks isn't real hard, you just have to set a time aside to do it. Those 258s are notorious for leaking out of the rear main seal. I've replaced two of them in the past, but it also means you have to replace the oil pan gasket since the pan has to be removed to get to it. My XJ leaks now and it looks like the valve cover gasket, oil filter adaptor 0-ring, oil pan gasket and the rear main seal all have to be fixed. I'm going to wait for it to warm up a little bit and I'll knock them all out in one day.
1994 YJ on 37s