Author Topic: Welding a Rear Bumper w/tire carrier  (Read 1623 times)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Welding a Rear Bumper w/tire carrier
« on: January 09, 2009, 04:05:14 AM »
I'm going to be getting the 33 from Kirk on Saturday for a spare and I really need to figure out a way to get it out of the inside of my XJ. I'm not a fan of putting them on top so I'd like to get a swing out tire carrier for the rear, but they are expensive. A guy over on Cheap Thrills Offroad, which I am a member of also, made this bumper for the back of his 89 XJ. I would keep the trailer hitch I already have so I'm just looking for a flat bumper that a swing out can be placed on. Is there anybody that has some time that would help me build this. I can pay for all the parts needed and I'll pay you a little something for your time. It still has to come out cheaper than $600 like I've been seeing advertised.

1994 YJ on 37s

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Re: Welding a Rear Bumper w/tire carrier
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:58:56 AM »
mine came out to around $500, including hitch and power coat (powder coat cost me 3 cases of sam)
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 06:20:42 PM »
Thanks Jeremy. Scott sent me a pm this morning with some info on the hitch and locking mechanism. Where did you get your steel from?
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:15:04 PM »
from a place on cross rd in waterford.  They usually don't sell in lenghts less than 24', but was able to make an eception for me.  you can try them, but don't be surprised if they won't help.  Don't tell them i sent you!  They didn't like the idea of a buch of small orders.  Try Logan steel (check their website).  they have a barn w/ odd/ends which may have what you want.  you can call them to see. EMS offroad is where i got my hinge.  get a latch there, too.  much better idea then what I did, they also have rests which can work as is, or be cut to work for your application (what i did).  Hinge is top quality and strong!  w/ my arm @ 90deg, i can hang on the far end (5' out) w/ tire on it and it still swings easy!  Before you start, we (and scott?) should sit down and talk about lessons learned.  TSC is where to get weld on shackels like i have.
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »
Sounds like a meeting of the minds we need...hmmm???

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 11:11:59 PM »
i'd def be interested in helping. i think it is going to look sweet when you do it

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 06:56:14 AM »
Sounds like a meeting of the minds we need...hmmm???

meeting of minds, yes, the force will guide us!

PaulW

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 07:17:35 PM »
word