Author Topic: Here i go again  (Read 4325 times)

PaulW

Re: Here i go again
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 09:46:44 PM »
RockKrawler solid stock trackbar.. No problems/ breaks.... And I beat my Jeep up at BTC. :-\

Sounds better, personally mine jeeps are dead within the 1st 4 trailrides, i dont even bother beefing them up anymore.  look at the post on my "new" one.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 11:31:29 PM »
Do yourself a favor and trade your TJ in for a used YJ.  ;D  A lot of YJ guys ditch the front and rear track bars.  I ditched the rear one, but the R.E. springs are too flexy to ditch the front one for on road use.  I am looking to make mine a quick disconnect, I even have a plan on howto do it. ;)

Ok, seriously, I agree with Gary, buy a quality one from another company.  The real question is how much is you aggravation worth to you?  Another thought might be to contact the guys at rock hard off road.

http://www.rockhardoffroad.com/

you'll recognize the 4 runner in the owners rigs as the super trick yota in the second run at TFT.  If that guy could beat the crap out of that yota, I'm sure he could recommend something or fab something up .They specialize in Jeeps even though the owners run yotas ???.  Just my 2 cents.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline moosin

• Trail Boss
  • Trail Master
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 12:32:32 AM »
Here is the picture of the track bar. This is the end that attaches to the frame. They both have already been cleaned up for welding purposes.

This picture I am pointing to the washer that holds the bushing down.

This picture I am pointing to the clip that holds the washer down.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 01:17:45 AM »
Are you welding the clip to the body of the track bar?  If so, why not just pull the clip out and weld the washer directly to the body of the track bar?  It looks to me like the clip is the weak link, so just eliminate the weak link.  The washer is most likely thicker then the clip so you can use a hotter setting on the welder and get better penetration when welding it.  The problem will be avoiding melting the bushing.  Stitch together a series of spot welds and I would think it would hold up a little better and won't melt the bushing away. :-\
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline moosin

• Trail Boss
  • Trail Master
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 01:45:42 AM »
yup i thought of that too. i just put it in there so as not to lose it and also make sure that the washer is foar enough in so as to make a tight fit around the ball joint. not to worried about it i put the stock one back on till i either weld up the broken one or get a new one. i called BDS and were puzzled on how it broke there. i personally dont think the ring was ever properly seated from the factory. the last one that i broke i actually broke the adjusting rod (small 3/4 in dia.) now its 1" and that part held up fine. any way they are going to send me 2 trac-bars one for my jeep and one for a spare (both free) for my troubles. they will do till i decide which one to buy next.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 02:15:40 AM »
Good call, imo.  You can't get any cheaper than free!
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 05:10:11 AM »
I got mine from quadratec for about $100 ed. it's a teraflex adjustable. just a thought for ya.
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 04:50:13 PM »
If they are sending you 2 for free that is awesome.  It sounds like their customer support is pretty good. 
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 04:58:51 PM »
If they are sending you 2 for free that is awesome.  It sounds like their customer support is pretty good. 

It should be, he's probably sent in for a replacement almost 10 times!!!

PaulW

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 07:03:32 PM »
i understand now.  the snap ring pops out. 

Offline moosin

• Trail Boss
  • Trail Master
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 11:23:38 PM »
yes there customer service has always been very good to me. they have the best no fine print warranty no ques. ever asked just give them my name and they know where to send the part. thanx again scott for welding up again. so far so good.