Author Topic: Just my luck: CEL  (Read 1757 times)

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Just my luck: CEL
« on: December 21, 2008, 02:19:38 AM »
So on the way to the party tonight, my taco develped an intermitant vibration (pretty bad).  It didn't seem speed dependent.  I though some Ice was caught in the wheels.  So on my way home, my check engine light (CEL) came on and the vibration seemed to go away.  Just in time to fly out tomorow from provadence. :(  I'm gonna try to make it there (no code reader :( ).  any one ever get a code from plowing through snow banks?  I have my heater on in the garage to thaw  out the truck so I can try to look at it tomorrow.  If anyone wants to come visit me w/ a code reader (OBD-II) tonight or tomorrow morning, i would be ETERNALY greatful!  If I didn't have to pack, I would go to you.

anyone?  808-554-8859
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
Re: Just my luck: CEL
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 02:24:06 AM »
Oh, Yes, I do have the Aspire, but with the weather calling for 100% chance of snow, I would rather risk the truck (a CEL does not always mean an immediate problem, but could), vice crashing the aspire.  If i break down, I can get a tow and have Enterprise pick me up.
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 03:05:02 AM »
I don't have a code reader, but the offer still stands to come pick you up and take you to the airport.  Call me first thing in the morning if you need a ride.  We can arrange to pick you up on the return trip as well.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 03:53:37 AM »
I have a code reader and I'm not as far away as Groton.  Sent you a PM with my address and phone number.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 05:05:37 AM »
I have a code reader and I'm not as far away as Groton.  Sent you a PM with my address and phone number.

I'm gonna clear the code manally (disconnecting battery) and drive it for a few min tomorrow morning to see if your idea about the knock sensor is right.  If not, Justin, I'll be talking to you!  I heated the garage up to 60F and It won't drop below 40 (never does, even in -20 weather) so most/all the ice should be gone by morn.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 02:15:36 PM »
so this morning after all the ice had melted, i pulled the neg post off till the computer restet and took it for a test drive.  The vibration was absent (i'm guessing it was from the ice), but the CEL is back :'(  If I knew it was something cheezy like an O2 sensor, I wouldnt' worry, but know knowing bugs me.  Justin is going to take me there and back.  THANKS DUDE! and I'll fix it once I get back.

PaulW

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 10:13:04 PM »
so this morning after all the ice had melted, i pulled the neg post off till the computer restet and took it for a test drive.  The vibration was absent (i'm guessing it was from the ice), but the CEL is back :'(  If I knew it was something cheezy like an O2 sensor, I wouldnt' worry, but know knowing bugs me.  Justin is going to take me there and back.  THANKS DUDE! and I'll fix it once I get back.

You should only worry about it if its flashing.  Then you have to worry because it's a catalyst destroying failure.  If it's just on and running fine, then dont worry about it too much until you have to go through emissions.

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 03:17:14 AM »
Just run to the nearest Auto Zone.  They let you use their OBD-II sensor for free.  That is what I always do.  Between the Camaro, Sunfire, Corolla, and the Jeep, they pretty much just let me use it as I please.  Sometimes they will ask you to hold your license but that is it.
JT4x4 Founding Member

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 07:19:43 PM »
Not enough time to go to autozone, so Justin just brought me.  I made it here about 4am local :(

I got a free copy of xp to put on my mac, so i'll be able to run my diagnostic software when i get home :)

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 12:16:43 AM »
so i went to autozone just before saying hey to the crew that did the run.  rear O2 sensor heater ckt.  one of the wires (that i repiared after a grinder accedent) came back loose.  some day i'll solder them.  tomorrow i'll go back and get the code cleared for good.

i'm guessing i caught it on a snow/ice chunk from all the "plowing" i did when it was snowing :D

PaulW

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 12:32:10 AM »
that might be a safe assumption