Author Topic: Taco Dell  (Read 3575 times)

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Taco Dell
« on: December 15, 2008, 05:20:18 AM »
So, after painting all my rusty/bare/exposed metal, I decied to straighten my skid.  Fail! Then I decided to lube the drive-line.  One zirk is sheared off :(  Since I'm done wheeling for a while, I though I should re-connect my anti-sway bar.  The one bolt of one link that was still on, is frozen solid!  The inside hex is stripped, and my nut splitter wont crack it.I know I can cut the whole thing off w/ a cut-off wheel, but :'(

anyone have access to a big metal press to flatten my skid out?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 05:23:02 AM by rocket »
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
Re: Taco Dell
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 03:06:28 PM »
I have a big effin' hammer here at the shop...LOL

jmwendler

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 03:47:05 PM »
I should have my big hydrolic press here after the holidays. Might even have it before the weekend is here. It currently  is in storage and I sign the lease for my new place on Thursday. I have not set up the reciept of my HHG yet. Will let you know when I have it. The supports are about 2.5ft wide, guessing. Not sure how wide your skid is.

Tie Rod

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 04:09:56 PM »
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 04:16:22 PM »
Can we get the webmaster to change his screen name??? LOL

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:19:56 PM »
I have a big effin' hammer here at the shop...LOL

Big hammer is not big enough.  I drove over it, parked on it (w/ the "U" suspended by 2x4s), beat it, put it up up-side-down on the crossmembers and jacked it (just raised the truck), to no avail :(  I hope "Tie-rod's" press might work  ???
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 07:35:38 PM »
Well, if his press doesn't work, then we could park the FJ on it, or maybe the Ram!  ;D
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 08:51:38 PM »
Wow :o, how bad can it be???   Is there room to (once its flat again) to brace it with some plate or angle to prevent it from deflecting again???

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 02:43:56 AM »
Have you tried heating the bend with a torch and then bending it?  If you do heat it, make sure you let it cool very slow, might even wrap it in fiberglass insulation with the current outside temp.  Cooling it slow will allow it to remain somewhat flexible and not brittle.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 04:05:50 AM »
dont' have a torch, and it's not a crease, its a big "U".  There is room to reinforce it, but what with?  It has 2" vertial sides of 3/16 that bent along the vertial plane.  It was rubbing my 2nd cat and x-fer case.  My cat's heatsheild has a crease and my x-fer case has a nice wear spot.  I'm driving w/o it for now.  It's not an emergeny repair, as there is no wheeling on my calendar in the near future.

jmwendler

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 08:32:30 PM »
Well I am all moved into my new house now. Well all my stuff is in it anyway, not neccessaryly unpacked. Call me when you would like to come over and i am sure we can flatten that skid plate with the 10ton press.

Tie Rod

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 08:23:18 AM »
Well I am all moved into my new house now. Well all my stuff is in it anyway, not neccessaryly unpacked. Call me when you would like to come over and i am sure we can flatten that skid plate with the 10ton press.

Tie Rod

Today?  I'll call you.  PM me your #

PaulW

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 08:44:42 AM »

Tie Rod

Today?  I'll call you.  PM me your #

If he can't help you then give me shout.  I have access to all kinds of equipment.  Even a dozer.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 03:00:48 AM »
James and I tried (unsucessfuly) to streighten it w/ his press; its to narrow for the plate (by a measly 3").  We even parked the Ram on it but got nothing out of it :( 

If he can't help you then give me shout.  I have access to all kinds of equipment.  Even a dozer.

I think the dozer might just be what I need.  Lets try it!

PaulW

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 06:26:30 AM »
James and I tried (unsucessfuly) to streighten it w/ his press; its to narrow for the plate (by a measly 3").  We even parked the Ram on it but got nothing out of it :( 

I think the dozer might just be what I need.  Lets try it!

If you can leave it with me for a few days, I'm sure I can get it taken care of for ya.  What's closest for you, Southington, Cromwell, Or Vernon??