Author Topic: Save Your Frame!  (Read 909 times)

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Save Your Frame!
« on: December 14, 2008, 11:27:42 PM »
With winter here, and the salt being poured on the roads to such an extent that it looks like snow, its time to remember what salt, water, and metal combine to form.  I hightly recomend taking the time to rinse off your frames or anything else that you have drug across the rocks, apply a coat of primer and paint.  I myself have found that all the scraches are already rusting, so I'm in the middle of "preservation" right now.  (as low as I am, i've drug just about every square inch of frame, skid, cross member, and diff over the past year + ) A few dollars in paint each season will allow your frames, skids, diffs, cross-members, oil pans, etc to last much longer in these car-unfriendly New England winters.  I'm hoping to never have to be part of the toyota rust recall.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

PaulW

Re: Save Your Frame!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 08:23:38 PM »
With winter here, and the salt being poured on the roads to such an extent that it looks like snow, its time to remember what salt, water, and metal combine to form.  I hightly recomend taking the time to rinse off your frames or anything else that you have drug across the rocks, apply a coat of primer and paint.  I myself have found that all the scraches are already rusting, so I'm in the middle of "preservation" right now.  (as low as I am, i've drug just about every square inch of frame, skid, cross member, and diff over the past year + ) A few dollars in paint each season will allow your frames, skids, diffs, cross-members, oil pans, etc to last much longer in these car-unfriendly New England winters.  I'm hoping to never have to be part of the toyota rust recall.

my heeps are usually the ones other people are done with, i spend 2 hours "trail" prepping them with the sawzall and welder, and go to town over the rocks.  they just dont live long enough to worry about rust.  lol